The State Government has approved a RM 10 million grant to assist the unemployed in Penang. The assistance will come in the form of temporary job creation and job training opportunities for retrenched workers as well as fresh school leavers and graduates.
The terms of reference (TOR) of CAT (Career Assistance & Training) Task Force are as follows:
i. Matching retrenched workers / new workers with training programs;
ii. Matching retrenched workers / new workers with job / business opportunities; and
iii. Working with members to create jobs and business opportunities.
InvestPenang has been entrusted the task as the Implementation Agency for this purpose. CAT (Career Assistance & Training) Centres will be set up on Penang Island and Mainland Penang within the next three months to coordinate and match applications with available jobs as well as training opportunities.
Agencies within the State like Penang Development Corporation (PDC), Majlis Perbandaran Pulau Pinang (MPPP), Majlis Perbandaran Seberang Perai (MPSP) and Perbadanan Bekalan Air (PBA) will assist in creating temporary job and training opportunities for the unemployed in Penang to buffer the current economic downturn.
investPenang will also enlist the assistance of industry associations like the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) and the Free Industrial Zone Penang Companies Association (FREPENCA) as well as Federal Government agencies like the Northern Corridor Implementation Authority (NCIA), Labour Department, Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) and Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) to provide temporary job and training opportunities.
At the initial stage, mobile lines have been set up for applicants to enquire and register with the CAT Centres. Interested applicants can call the following numbers:
i. 018-465 9384;
ii. 018-465 2043;
iii. 018-465 6410; and
iv. 018-465 1635 during office hours (i.e. 8.00 a.m. – 5.30 p.m., Monday-Friday).
Registration forms will be made available from Friday, January 23, onwards at:
1. PDC Office in Bayan Baru
1. Kaunter Penerangan, MPPP, Level 3, Komtar
2. Kaunter Pembayaran / Permohonan, Bahagian Perlesenan, MPPP, Dewan Bandaraya, Padang Kota Lama
3. Bilik Tempahan, Jabatan Perkhidmatan Kemasyarakatan, Tingkat Bawah, Stadium Bandaraya
4. Kaunter Pembayaran, MPPP, PISA, Jalan Tun Dr Awang
5. Kaunter Pembayaran, MPPP, Cawangan Balik Pulau, Kompleks Pasar Awam Balik Pulau
1. MPSP Office, Jalan Perda Utama,Bandar Perda, Bukit Mertajam
1. PBA Customer Service Centre, Level 3, Komtar
2. Rifle Range Customer Service Centre, No 36, Jalan Padang Tembak
3. Balik Pulau Customer Service Centre, 1346 Jalan Sungai Pinang, Balik Pulau
4. Bayan Baru Customer Service Centre, I-Avenue, No. 1-1-16 & 17, Medan Kampung Relau 1
5. Taman Selat Customer Service Centre, No 77, Taman Selat, Bagan Luar
6. Perai Complex, No 1111, Tingkat Perusahaan 6-D, Perai IV
7. Kepala Batas Customer Service Centre, 2160 Kompleks Pentadbiran Bertam, Jalan Bertam
8. Bukit Mertajam Customer Service Centre, Wisma Hock Teik, 1378 Jalan Ciku, Bukit Mertajam
9. Jawi Customer Service Centre, Kompleks PBAPP Jawi, 1830 Jalan Changkat, Sungai Jawi
E. PSDC in Bayan Baru
Registration forms can also be downloaded from the following websites:
vi. www.mpsp.gov.my; and