Press Statement By DAP Secretary-General And MP For Bagan Lim Guan Eng In Kuala Lumpur On 29.4.2014.
The DAP Central Executive Committee at its meeting last night unanimously passed the following resolution:-
1. Observed a minute’s silence in memory of our beloved National Chairman Sdr Karpal Singh and expressed deepest condolences to his bereaved family and gratitude for his sacrifice and service to the party, people and country.
2. The selection of the DAP candidate for the Bukit Gelugor parliamentary seat will be decided by the DAP 3-man Candidate Selection Committee headed by the DAP Secretary-General and comprising Sdr Tan Kok Wai and Sdr Lim Kit Siang. Even though priority will be given to the candidate list proposed by the Penang DAP State Committee, it is the prerogative of the DAP Candidate Selection Committee to consider other candidates proposed.
3. Reaffirmed the party’s consistent and unchanged opposition to the implementation of hudud law on Muslims by PAS, UMNO or any other party in Kelantan or Terengganu as unconstitutional and contrary to the 1957 Merdeka spirit and context in a multi-racial, multi-religious and multi-cultural society.
4. Restates the basis of co-operation of PR is that full consensus by ALL 3 parties of PAS, DAP and PKR is required before a policy is PR policy. The implementation of hudud is PAS and not PR policy because DAP had never agreed to its implementation.
5. Confirms that PAS President Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang is wrong that PR and DAP had agreed to the implementation of hudud law in 2011 and that Abdul Hadi should read in full the public statement by PR in 2011 which clearly states DAP’s differences with PAS and opposition to the implementation of hudud. DAP leaders will actively engage with PAS leaders to emphasise that DAP had never agreed to hudud laws passed by PAS in Kelantan and Terengganu before or after the establishment of PR in 2008.
6. In our engagement with PAS, DAP will not discuss the rationale for or against the implementation of hudud laws because this has been articulated at length in the past by DAP. Instead DAP will urge PAS leaders to consider fully the political consequences of trusting UMNO to support the implementation of hudud laws which UMNO had previously opposed(the latest objection to hudud stated by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on 25.9.2011). By falling into UMNO’s trap set by Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom in Parliament who stated that UMNO was willing to help PAS implement hudud laws, PAS risks the following:
· risks betraying the non-Muslim voters who had supported and trusted PAS in the 2013 general elections,
· risks the break-up of PR which is the great desire of UMNO; and
· risks losing Kelantan in the same way that PAS lost Terengganu in the 2004 general elections after passing hudud laws in 2003.
· risks losing all its seats won with non-Muslim support outside the states of Kelantan, Terengganu, Perlis and Kedah.
7. Condemns certain mainstream media for adopting the tactics of falsehoods and distortion by BN against the DAP by perpetuating lies that DAP had agreed to the implementation of hudud by PAS in Kelantan and Terengganu despite incontrovertible written evidence in all documents that DAP had consistently opposed its implementation.
8. Advises all party leaders to issue written statements on this issue to avoid further distortion as well as counter this conspiracy of lies and falsehoods by certain mainstream media to destroy the confidence of the rakyat in DAP.
LIM GUAN ENG