Press Statement By Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng In Komtar, George Town On 14.10.2016.
1. The Penang State Government wishes to extend our deepest condolences to the Thai Royal Family, the Thai Government and the Thai People on the passing of His Majesty, King Bhumipol Adulyadej. Thailand has lost a revered monarch who is a known peacemaker, an icon for moderation and modernity, and a unifying force for tolerance and stability. He will be missed by us all.
2. The devastating news came quite abrupt to us in Penang for it was only just last week that Crown PrincessMaha Chakri Sirindhorn had made a return visit to Penang for the second time in two years to foster closer friendship with the people of Penang. We also wish to extend our solemn condolences to HM Queen Sirikit and Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn and their families over the loss of their beloved King.
3. During his unparalleled 70-year reign as the longest servich monarch, the King had witnessed no less than 19 military coups, besides having been served by 35 Prime Ministers. As a constitutional monarch with limited powers since the abolition of absolute rule in 1932, he had steadfastly remained above politics, but on numerous occasions, he had risen to willingly offer his mediating hands in seeking solutions to national crisis.
4. From the mass prayers offered by the Thai people throughout the years the King was hospitalized, and the avalanche outpour of sadness and grief when news of the King’s demise was announced, it is a testament that the public reverence for King Bhumibol is genuine and heartfelt. We truly share their great sense of loss and grieve along.
5. King Bhumibol has given us a role model for his skills as a diplomat, his leadership as a reformist monarch, and his ability to reach out to ordinary people in Thailand as well as generated admiration overseas, including Penang and Malaysia. May our people-to-people ties be strengthened between both Malaysia and Penang with the Royal Kingdom of Thailand.
LIM GUAN ENG
The State Government of Penang